What do I need to know before requesting an Apostille?
Before you approach a Competent Authority about getting an Apostille, you should consider questions such as:
• Does the Apostille Convention apply in both the country that issued the republic document and the country where I intend to use it?
• If the country that issued the public document has designated several Competent Authority to issue a Apostille for my public document?
• Can I get an Apostille for my public document, i.e., is my document considered a public document under the law of the country where it was issued?
• Can I request an Apostille by mail or must I appear in person? This is particularly relevant if you are living in a country that issued your public document.
• If I have multiple documents, will I need multiple Apostilles?
• Are there other documents (in addition to the public document) or additional information that I need to provide to get an Apostille (e.g., a document establishing my identity or a stamped envelope in the case of requests by mail)?
• How much does an Apostille cost and what forms of payment are available?
• How long will it take to get the Apostille?